WELCOME TO CHARLBURY COMMUNITY CENTRE
Today’s News: 01.12.2023
- Please note that Monday morning’s Body Workout class will not be running on the 4th December, but Jason will be back and giving you a great workout the following Monday.
- We’re delighted to be hosting Community Carol Singing around the Christmas tree again this year. Put Friday December 15th at 7pm in your diaries for this warm and wonderful evening to kick off the holiday season. Carols will be led by Jennie Grierson, and there will be complimentary mulled wine and mince pies for all.
- Due to popular demand, we will be holding Kids’ Runarounds in the Sports Hall every Friday beginning 17th November until February half-term. We’ll have balls, hoops, soft toys and lots of space for pre-school and younger primary children to let off their energy in a warm and dry place. Please note this is an unsupervised session so parents and carers stay with their children – and join in the fun. The sessions will be from 3.30 – 4.30 and it’s £2 per child.
- ******Watch this space for details of upcoming school holiday Runarounds and the hugely popular annual Christmas Circuits with Jason on Christmas Eve day this year!*****
- Friday Youth Club is back every Friday during term time, 7-9pm! Thanks to parents and other very generous community volunteers, we will be able to continue running it. It’s for secondary-age young people, offering them a place to hang out with friends at the end of the school week. The Sports Hall is available to use for indoor football, basketball, badminton and the cafe area is all theirs. Only £1 per session.
- Another popular offering for young people, Youth Basketball (Thursdays 5-6 pm) is still going strong, so if you’re 11 or older and interested in some pick-up basketball, come along! £3 per session.
- Finally, also for young people, we offer career mentoring – so if you are or know of a teenager that could benefit from some guidance or help accessing information for their next steps, do take advantage of this. More details here.
- For much younger people we have Toddler gym and Songbirds on a Wednesday morning, a buzzing and relaxed place for pre-schoolers and their carers. Songbirds starts at 10.15, please get in touch with Jenny (email@example.com) and for Toddler Gym at 11.15 just turn up!
- Have you ever wondered what the names of the trees are on the Playing Close? Each tree has a number on it as they are on this aerial plan and the key to which tree is which can be found here.
- Note that our autumn opening hours mean we are open later more often. See below for all opening hours. Come have a cup of tea with a friend, borrow a book, check out the classes on offer. You will be very welcome!
- Extended gym opening hours. We are keeping the pop-up gym set up for as long as we can – which means different hours each day and they are subject to change. See the opening hours below or here.
- Volleyball on Wednesdays 8-10pm would love more players this year. Come on down and give it a try! All welcome. Contact Steven: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07879 063 934.
- If a class or group session is not your thing, did you know that you can book a table tennis, badminton or pickleball court in our Sports Hall for a very reasonable price on a walk-in basis if a court is free – afternoons often have free courts available. We provide all equipment or bring your own. Come down and have a go!
- While the Charlbury Saturday market is having a pause for the winter months, the fresh veg box scheme by Styan Family Produce is still operating. Deliveries are dropped outside the Community Centre every Saturday. More details are here, if you would like a fresh veg box each week. You can also order Bibury Trout, milk, eggs, apple juice honey and many other locally produced foods.
- Fancy a take-away? The food traders and their operating hours can be found here.
- Menopause Coffee and Chat. First Monday of every month at 11.30am. For more information, please contact Anita Loxton at email@example.com
- Jason has written an article about the benefits of exercise in the older generations. Click on the link to read it.
- Sports hall ventilation. Here is a description of how the air handling system works in the centre (it does not recycle the air).
- For all club leaders – here is the Incident Reporting Form. If there are any accidents, incidents or near misses during your sessions, please download and fill one of these forms in and hand it to reception as soon as you can afterwards so we can get a picture of what accidents might be happening at the centre and whether there is anything we can do to prevent them.
- Our Terms and Conditions can be found at this link.
COMMUNITY CENTRE OPENING HOURS
- Monday: 9am-7pm
- Tuesday: 9am-5pm
- Wednesday: 9am-7pm
- Thursday: 9am-7pm
- Friday: 9am-5pm
- Saturday: 9am-4pm
- Sunday: 9am-4pm
- Bank holidays: 10am-4pm
Gym Opening Hours:
- Mondays: 8am – 3pm
- Tuesdays: 9am – 2pm
- Wednesdays: 8am – 1pm
- Thursdays: 9am – 1pm
- Fridays: 8am – 5pm
- Saturdays: 9am – 4pm
- Sundays: 8am – 4pm
The Library is staffed on Mondays 10am-12.30pm and on Wednesdays 2-7pm, Fridays 2-5pm and Saturdays 10am-12.30pm. At other times you can return or borrow books using the self service machine.
BECOME A FRIEND OF CHARLBURY COMMUNITY CENTRE
We rely on fundraising, grants and donations for about 20% of the running costs of the Community Centre. Regular donations are especially valuable, so we have set up a “Friends of Charlbury Community Centre” scheme. Regular donors have their names appear on the display screen in the lobby, so it is good for those who missed out on the “Buy a Brick” scheme, or for people who are generous enough to want to help on a regular basis. For more details or to join please download this form.
Community Centre Warm Welcome Initiative
To support our community during this cost of living crisis, Charlbury Community Centre is offering a warm and welcoming space to anyone wishing to come along. You can join in a variety of activities, make use of library services and purchase hot drinks and refreshments from our community café. The centre is open until 5pm weekdays and 4pm on weekends. This initiative is supported by West Oxfordshire District Council.